Remote (U.S. Time Zones)
Contractor role, initially 3-6 months with possibility of becoming a full-time position
This is a dangerous time to be a journalist on the internet. Online comments are often filled with insults and threats, while being present on social media can lead to horrific abuse. It doesn’t have to be this way.
At Mozilla, we believe that healthy online conversation can exist, given the right systems and tools – and we believe that a healthy democracy depends on it.
We built our open source Talk tool to do just that. It now helps journalists at more than 25 news organizations to engage with their communities, share knowledge, empower discussions, and reduce the impact of trolls. And it doesn’t share or sell anyone’s data while doing it.
Current Talk users include The Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal, The Intercept, New York Magazine, the National Review, and the Sydney Morning Herald.
We’re looking for an Integration & Infrastructure Engineer to join our team to help bring our main product, Talk, into more newsrooms.
What you have:
- A real passion for mission-driven work
- A problem-solving mindset and a knack for troubleshooting
- An understanding of how software systems work together to meet business goals
- Experience in implementing software solutions across a wide variety of technical platforms
- Experience with Docker
- Infrastructure/devops/systems administration/DBA experience
- General programming skills (our stack is Node, Typescript, React, Mongo, GraphQL)
- Strong social skills
- Strong documentation skills
- At least 4 years’ relevant experience
What you might also have (but it’s fine if you don’t):
- Experience with launching SaaS products
- Experience working with news organizations
- Experience contributing to open source software
- Experience with Google Cloud and/or AWS
Your work will include these tasks:
- Work directly with publishers and their development teams as the primary contact as they install and run Talk, either on-premise or using our hosted/SaaS solution
- Work closely with our engineering team as an intermediary between publishers and the rest of the team, preparing and replicating bug reports and feature requests
- Develop and document nuanced accounts of the varying goals, processes, and technical landscapes at various journalistic organizations
- Solve problems, including building and/or guiding technical integrations for newsroom systems, while ensuring best practices for security and reliability
- Take the lead in managing, triaging and diagnosing customer support issues
- Share technology and product decisions with editorial and technical users
- Maintain positive relationships with newsroom developers as they install and integrate Talk
- Provide product, service, technical, and engineering support for Talk, especially for our current and future SaaS clients
- Contribute to and improve product documentation
- Maintain and improve existing cloud infrastructure
- Sit in on software architecture meetings to provide feedback to the development team
- Solve problems and address infrastructure issues, automate tasks, maintain and improve build/deploy processes
If you’re passionate about helping newsrooms to adopt better technology for their communities, and have relevant skills and experience, please consider applying even if your background doesn’t match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
We are a small, diverse, and dedicated team that works remotely. We want you to help us make the internet a better place for everyone.
To apply for this role, please send an email to email@example.com. Please introduce yourself, and tell us why you are passionate about this role. Also please attach your resume, and any other relevant info (portfolio, website, GitHub profile, etc).